This month's desktop wallpaper is a photograph made early one summer's morning 3 years ago showing Manchester Cathedral in the foreground with the Arndale Tower and No. 1 Deansgate in the background. It's not up on my print galleries yet as they're undergoing a major overhaul, but you can download a copy for your computer's desktop completely free of charge. The links are here.
For almost the last time this year, you can win an A4 fine art print of this image but to be eligible and party to the competition details you need to be in my "Image of the Month" club. Sign up here - you've got to be in it to win it! Don't worry, I don't spam and will never ever pass your details on to anyone else.
Before I sign off for another week, I thought I'd include a few of the better links that I've found worth sharing on the social networks over the last month. If you're on Twitter then feel free to follow me - I'm @NeilAlexanderD or on Facebook at facebook.com/NeilAlexanderPhotography
- These are brilliant & a tad bizarre! "30 Unique Photographs from Our Past" - http://feedly.com/k/1b4Plwp
- Epic work from Steve McCurry as ever. How does he manage it? "To Change the World" http://bits.nad.me/16bvgm0
- Cripes! Ain't showing these to the little 'uns.... "19 Images of Home Made Halloween Costumes" http://bits.nad.me/H5pozG
- "Old school comedy" http://bits.nad.me/1ibVODx << Some great tips on #EventPhotography from @gregharding
- Avoid this competition! "Travel as Far Away as You Can from this Rights Grab" http://bits.nad.me/GHmLTX
And on the blog:
- From the archives: Manchester - I've been re-cataloging my libraries. It's a painful but fruitful process.
- Passion and how to keep it alive - It's all to easy to get bogged down in the day to day.
- Would you like to join me in Scotland in April 2014? - I'm leading a photographic tour round the Highlands and Islands of Scotland for M&M Photo Tours next April. It's going to be fantastic.
And finally, I've a guest post up on the Leicester Peoples Photographic Gallery site on Personal Projects - http://bits.nad.me/HgqZmk
And it's goodnight from him.....
1. Click on the link that matches your screen resolution to open the image in a new browser window (if you do not know what your screen resolution is you can find out by right-clicking on an empty area of your desktop, select Properties, then the Settings tab, and it will show you the Screen Resolution on the right-hand side of the box)
2. In the new browser window that has opened with the image in it, right-click and select Set as Wallpaper or Set as Background.
3. Your wallpaper will now appear on your desktop
1. Follow the steps as above but instead of selecting Set as Background, select Save Image As. Change the file name if you with, and save the file wherever you wish to store it.
2. Right-click on an empty area of your desktop, select Properties, then the Background tab.
3. Click on the Browse button and find the image file where you saved it, select it, then click OK.
4. Your wallpaper will now appear on your desktop
1. Click on the link that matches your screen resolution to open the image in a new browser window (if you do not know what your screen resolution is you can find out by clicking on the apple, select System Preferences, then Displays).
2. Ctrl-click on the image in the new window, select Download Image to Disk and save in a place you will remember
3. Hold down Ctrl and - at the same time - click on your desktop
4. Choose Change Desktop Background and click on the Desktop tab in the Desktop & Screensaver pop-up menu.
5. Select Choose Folder, Desktop and navigate to the downloaded image then click Choose (bottom right) and close the Desktop & Screensaver menu. 6. Your wallpaper will now appear on your desktop